Friday, March 4, 2011

Week 87

What have I been doing?

#3 Wrote thank you notes to the family for their hospitality during my latest stay and to K/P for the amazing bounty they brought back from their India excursion. Thank you Easter Bunny!

#35 Wrote some amazingly clever notes to my guy.
I sent him some Battleship prose during our Sunday morning match.
I sent him a riddle--What has two thumbs and luvs ya? Very reminiscent of the Do you like me? check box in grade school, but it got the point across.
I found the I love you card that I thought got thrown away during my annual desk purge. It found its way to the vintage chip bowl along a side of corn salsa.
I made him a 3-D paper dinosaur. Nothing says I love you than a paper craft project on a Sunday afternoon that says RAWR. (Dinosaur for I love you).

#36 M got TWO foot rubs this session. One of them was with sweaty, stink feet. I think it should count twice, but M disagrees. He would as he is on the receiving end of the foot rub. The other was an impromptu as he was using my tv tray as a foot rest. I don't know what is ickier? The fact that I rubbed the toes or the fact that he was using my eating surface as a foot rest.

#72 Gave $5.00 to the Moose Lodge for their children's charity. Also gave $5.00 to the gentleman at the gas station who coasted in on fumes and did not have enough money to gas up to his final destination.

#40 Watched two of the three silent pictures on the list.
Sunrise--Gripping drama about a city girl who seduces a country farmer away from his homely wife. They conspire to kill his wife so they can move to the city and be together. City girl (nobody has names in silent movies) tells Farmer to drown Homely Wife by tipping the boat over and saying it was an accident. He starts the deed, but cannot finish because he is troubled that his wife is so fearful of him. Homely wife escapes and travels to the city followed closely by Farmer. He begs and pleads and she finally forgives him. They spend a full day frolicking in the city. On their way home by dinghy boat, a storm sweeps in and almost takes the life of the Homely Wife. City Girl, thinking that Farmer did the deed, runs to meet him not knowing that he has gone back to his wife. Homely Wife is found and resumes consciousness. City Girls flees town. Farmer has renewed reverence for his girl. All worked out in the end. Sunrise was the only picture to receive the Oscar for Most Unique Film. This Oscar was only given out at the first award ceremony. It was later revamped and included in the Best Film category.

Intolerance--Epic silent picture that was the first movie to use the technique of telling multiple story lines within one film by showing snippets of each story inter-woven with each other. This three and a half hour (yes, I said 3.5 hours) movie depicts 4 stories of how intolerance has been the root of evil though out history. Stories show the Massacre of St. Bartholomew Day in France, the Crucifixion of Christ, the Fall of Babylon and the present day story of a wrongly accused man of murder who can't catch a break. All the hatred and violence leads back to the root cause of the inability to accept differences in other lands, religions, customs and traditions. Still apropos today, I think. When, as human beings, are we going to understand that this is a big world and we all have a place?

#86 I did it. I subscribed to the local paper. Considering that I hate watching the news and the internet is severely inaccurate at times, I have to get my daily goings-on from somewhere. Plus, I like doing the Jumble puzzle.

#8 Read three books--
The Great Gatsby. We had the option of reading this book in high school. I picked the other one, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was. I enjoyed it. It was a fast read, but it did keep my attention. Gatsby is a cool cat that lives life to the fullest, at least to the observer. What we learn is that Gatsby still pines for an old love. This pining sets in motion a series of events that will cost Gatsby everything, including his life.

The Essential Koran. So I wanted to know what all the hoopla was about. Does the Koran really tell followers to hate? Not even one line. In fact, it reads very similar to the Bible. Now, I did not read the entire script. I read a very condensed version that serves as an introduction to the actual manuscript. I don't understand why this manuscript makes all the Christians so crazy. I mean no where that I read did the Koran endorse violence or hatred. It is just a different way of looking at a faith. Do I see a theme this session? Maybe it was not a coincidence that I read the Koran and watched Intolerance.

The Cold Cash War. This book is about the money side of a war and how corporations want to keep fighting to fill their wallets. Sound familiar?

CD time:

Maroon 5--Songs about a Girl
Meat Puppets--To High to Die
John Mellancamp--human Wheels
Pat Metheny--Offramp
Moody Blues--Legend of a Band
Moody Blues--Voices in the Sky
Monkees--Greatest Hits
Alanis Morrisette--Jagged Little Pill
Gary Moore--After Hour ( great CD-best surprise this session)
My Friend Steve--Hope & Wait
Stevie Nicks--Trouble in Shangri-La
Nirvana--Nevermind
Nirvana--From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah
Nirvana--Insecticide
Nirvana--Unplugged in NY

No comments:

Post a Comment