Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Up to week 38

So I was a slacker last week and did not post. Really, it was not about lack of time. It was really embarrassment over not doing to much. Here is what I did do:


#37 Painted nails a bright, electric blue. I thought the color would be lighter, but what can you do. It was my last fun color before my friend's wedding. I did not think that blue would suit the occasion, so it lasted about 2 weeks and then got switched to a very neutral tan. I somehow feel naked at this point. All the colors are gone and have been replaced with basics. I will say that I am more apt to try different colors and finishes on my manicure from here on out. They were very liberating to wear!!

#35 Planted a love note to Mark. He was travelling for work and I saw the suitcase before he left. I put a card in his pants that said I loved him and I was proud of him. I placed the card in a way that it would fall out when he hung up his pants. It worked like a charm and he discovered his note at the appropriate time.

#72 Gave a gentleman $5.00 on the street. That was all I had. He was very nice and said he was down on his luck. After I gave him the money, I noticed that 2 other cars also spared some money. Maybe I am rubbing off.

#74 Listened to one CD--Beach Boys Greatest Hits--very beachy and summery!

#40 Watched 3 more movies:

"12 Angry Men--So I watched this in high school, but I vaguely remembered it. Too much partying. Anywho, great movie. It shows that not everything is as it seems and how quick we are to pass judgement. A star-studded cast presented a fantastic tale set in a jury room. They have heard the case against a young boy accused of murdering his father. Henry Fonda was the sole juror that had reasonable doubt that the boy had commited the murder. He then spends the next couple of hours trying to convince 11 other men that there are other possibilities. He has the odds against him, but manages to convince a bigot, an angry father, a man who doesn't sweat, an old man with a strong memory, a wallflower with a cough, a grown version of the accused, a sports fan, a frustrated foreman, a refugee watchmaker, a typical working man, and a cereal-box doodler. Awesome flick--must see for all. Fun little tidbit, this movie was a financial disaster when it opened, but received 3 Acadamy Award nods for Best Picture, Director and adapted screenplay. It lost all three to The Bridge on the River Kwai, but recognized financial success because of the nominations. I guess you could say it was the sleeper hit of its time.

Swing Time--Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire star in this gay romp centered around, you guessed it, dancing. The story moved quickly, but there were some unanswered questions and gaps in the plot. Some things just did not make sense. I guess people were so enthralled by the dancing that the continuity of the story was not a concern. Some memorable songs that came from this flick included "The Way You Look Tonight", "Waltz in Swing Time" and "A Fine Romance". I love watching old movies and hearing standard songs that came from that movie. It is like you hear the song for so many years and you know that it a famous song and then you here where it came from and it all blends together.

Some Like It Hot-- Marilyn Monroe played a drinking ukulele player looking for a millionaire. Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon were running from the mob while wearing dresses. When both sides meet, shenanigans ensue. Very funny movie, very tongue in cheek. One of the things about this flick is that I noticed how full-figured Marilyn really was. She had some rolls. I love that she owned her body image and the public adored her for what she was. It is amazing to me how our perception of beauty has changed over the years. Would Marilyn with her curves and rolls and out-of-control hair be considered a bombshell now? I would love to say yes, but I fear in the age of size two twigs, she may not get the same label.

No comments:

Post a Comment